We’re striving to be the kind of church described in the Bible—a church with relevant teaching, heart-felt worship, honest friendships, constant prayer, and compassionate care for those in need.
So, whether you’re a spiritual seeker who’s just starting to ask questions about God, or a committed Christian who wants to grow Read more
Dr. William H. Whitaker, II is honored to be the Pastor of the First Union Baptist Church, 6144 Derwent Road, Richmond, Virginia. A minister called to nurture and educate the people of God and improve the quality of ministry life within the religious community, he has worked tirelessly as a Spirit-led ministry leader since accepting his call to ministry in 1990. His ministry is both multi-cultural and ecumenical providing ministry training and support within churches, seminaries, and state conventions of various denominations and cultures.
In 1997, Dr. Whitaker began his ministry consulting firm, CBA1 LLC, under the name “The Elijah Project” which provides a refuge of clergy care to “wounded” pastors and ministers. Under CBA1, Dr. Whitaker provides a path of “restoration and re-entry to ministry” for hurting churches, spiritually burned out lay leaders, and ministers who have been terminated and displaced from their churches. Today, CBA1 provides church business administration training and resources to churches throughout the states of Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and also Washington, D.C.
Educationally, Dr. Whitaker has served as a ministry trainer, clergy mentor, and seminary instructor in various seminaries within the United States. He is currently an instructor of Church Finance and Administration at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University in Richmond, Virginia. Additionally, Dr. Whitaker is a published author of several books and ministry training videos in the area of clergy care and church business administration which are being used as resources in today’s churches and seminaries.
Dr. Whitaker has been blessed to earn the Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Computer Information Systems from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia, the Master of Divinity degree from the School of Theology at Virginia Union University in Richmond, Virginia, and the Doctor of Ministry degree from the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio.
Of all his accomplishments, Dr. Whitaker considers family and home life to be his greatest. He resides in Richmond, Virginia with his wife of 20 years, Maria, his daughter, McKenzie, and his son, William Howard Whitaker, III.
- 8 and 11 a.m. Worship Services
- 9:45 Sunday School
- Fifth Sundays – One service at 10:00 a.m.
- 12 noon Bible Study
- 7 p.m. Bible Study
- 8 a.m. Bible Mission – A Walk Through The Bible
- 1st Sunday – Fellowship Hall – Youth Only Service
- 3rd Sunday – Youth Sunday – Sanctuary – Youth leading and serving in worship
- 2nd Sunday of each month – 8 and 11 am Worship Services
- Mondays at 4 pm – Comcast Cable Channel 6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Third Sunday Worship Service
- Youth Sunday
- 8:00 a.m. Worship Service in Sanctuary
- Youth Choir Sings
- 11:00 a.m. Worship Service in Sanctuary
- Youth Choir Sings
- Youth Worship Leader & Youth conduct Devotions
- Sisters of Praise Dancers & Mustard Seed Praise Dancers (alternate service participation)
Wednesday Night Bible Study
- Ages 3-6
- Ages 7-10
- Ages 11-13
- Ages 14-18
- 1st, 2nd & 4th Sunday’s during 11:00 a.m. Service
- Ages 4-8
- Director: Brenda Peaks
- Available during 11:00 a.m. Sunday Worship Service
- 1st, 2nd, and 4th Sunday
Sisters of Praise (Praise Dancers)
- Ages 12-18
- Facilitator: Sis. Shelia Myers
Mustard Seed (Praise Dancers)
- Ages 6-11
- Facilitator: Sis. Lisa Shepperson
2015 First Sunday’s @ Town – Monthly Excursions @ the City of Richmond (or surrounding areas)
- January 18 – Lunch & Movie (Bow Tie Cinemas)
- February 1 – Movie – “NOAH” (Fellowship Hall) – Pizza, Ice Cream & Cookies
- March 1 – Bowling (Uptown Alley)
- April 5 – Easter Egg Hunt (for Children’s Church attendees only)
- May 3 – Maymont Arts in the Park (lunch provided)
- June – December – TBD
Upcoming Youth Events & Opportunities
April 4 – MLK Memorial & Smithsonian National Zoological Park (lunch provided)
April 7 – 9, 2015 – Youth Revival, 7:00 p.m. nightly
Tuesday, April 7 – Rev. Tommy Fleming, Pastor, Emmaus Baptist Church (1st Youth Minister of FUBC)
- Music – FUBC Youth Choir
- Ushers – Chicago Avenue Baptist Church, Youth Usher Ministry
- Dance – FUBC Sisters Of Praise Dance Ministry
Wednesday, April 8 – Rev. Dr. Roberta Young-Jackson, Youth Minister FUBC
- Music – Zion’s Voice Community Choir
- Ushers – FUBC Youth Usher Ministry
- Dance – FUBC Combined Praise Dance Ministries
Thursday, April 9 – Rev. Akeem Walker, Pastor, First Baptist Missionary Church, Powellsville, NC
- Music – Olive Branch Baptist Church Young Adult Choir
- Ushers – FUBC Youth Ushers
- Dance – FUBC Mustard Seed Dance Ministry
July 18 – Kings Dominion (JoyFest)
August 6 – Faith Night @ The Diamond – Richmond Squirrels Baseball Game
TBD – Youth Lock-in
2015 Youth Ministry Officers
- President – Chyna Branch
- Vice President – Izetta Hill
- Secretary – Jahnique Branch
Youth Minister, Rev. Dr. Roberta Young-Jackson
Contact Information: 804-745-9772 (church office)
Missions and Evangelism
”Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” Matthew 28:19
The Mission Statement of the First Union Baptist Church Missions Ministry is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ both locally and abroad, while meeting the needs of others, validating their self-worth and declaring GOD’s glory.
Local Read more
First Union Baptist Church is located in the southside of the city of Richmond, Virginia. We are at the intersection of Hull Street Road and Derwent Road. Our edifice is conveniently located off of Chippenham Parkway and I-95. Our edifice address is 6144 Derwent Road, Richmond, VA 23225.
From the North:
Travel I-95 S toward Richmond. Take the I-64 W/I-195 S exit toward Powhite Parkway/Charlottesville. Merge onto I-195 S via exit 186 on the left toward US-60/Powhite Pkwy/US-360W (portions toll). Keep left to take VA-76 S toward VA-150/Powhite Pkwy/US-60/US-360 (portions toll). Merge onto VA-150 S/Chippenham Pkwy via the exit Read more